Gallstones can also develop due to a concentration of bile in the gallbladder and high levels of bilirubin.
There are many factors which can lead to gallstones, including liver disease, obesity, pregnancy, a high-fat diet, diabetes, a sedentary lifestyle, and certain forms of anemia.
It is considered that people older than 60 years of age and people of Native American or Hispanic descent are more likely to experience gallstones. Typically, people develop gallstones and they are even not aware of it.
However, when a gallstone obstructs the bile duct, it can lead to symptoms like sudden severe pain, particularly in the right side of the stomach, back pain, vomiting, nausea, indigestion, bloating, chills and clay-colored stools.
If you notice some of these symptoms, visit your doctor immediately. Check out these natural remedies that will help you to prevent and treat gallstones.
The best 10 home remedies for gallstones:
1. Apple Cider VinegarApple cider vinegar is acidic in nature. It means that it can stop the liver from making cholesterol that contributes to the formation of gallstones. This is of utmost importance for dissolving gallstones and relieving pain.
In a glass of apple juice, you should mix 1 tablespoon of ACV. Consume this whenever you have a gallstone attack. You will get relief within 15 minutes.
You can also add 2 teaspoons of ACV and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to a glass of warm water. Consume this in the morning, before your breakfast. Repeat this procedure for a few weeks and you will effectively dissolve gallstones and prevent pain.
2. Lemon JuiceLemon juice is another natural remedy for treating gallstone attacks. It can stop your liver from making cholesterol, thus accelerate the healing process.
Lemon contains pectin which can eliminate gallbladder pain. Moreover, lemon juice is an excellent source of vitamin C that makes cholesterol more water soluble, thus promoting faster elimination of waste products.
Squeeze the juice of 4 lemons and drink it every day, on an empty stomach. After drinking the juice, drink 1 glass of water. Repeat this procedure for 1 week.
You can also mix a glass of water and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and drink this on an empty stomach.
3. PeppermintPeppermint stimulates the flow of bile and other digestive juices, thus aiding digestion. It contains terpene, a compound that has the ability to dissolve gallstones. It can also relieve acute gallbladder pain and help relax spasms.
You should boil 1 cup of water. Add 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves. Remove from heat, cover and steep for 5 minutes. Strain and add 1 teaspoon honey.
Drink the tea while it is still warm. You should drink it 2 times a day, for 6 weeks. For best results, drink it between meals.
4. Vegetable JuicePeople suffering from gallstones should avoid fried and fatty foods. You should follow a strict diet rich in fruits and vegetable juices for a week or two.
To prepare a good remedy for gallstones, you can combine beet root, carrots, and cucumber. Beet root can strengthen the gallbladder and cleanse the liver.
Due to its rich content of water, cucumber can detoxify the liver and gallbladder. Carrots are abundant in vitamin C and other nutrients that can strengthen the immune system.
You should extract the juice from 1 beet root, 1 cucumber and 4 medium-size carrots. Mix well and consume this juice two times a day, for 2 weeks.
5. PsylliumPsyllium is an excellent source of soluble fiber, therefore it is a great remedy for gallstones. The fiber found in psyllium can bind to the cholesterol in bile and prevent the formation of gallstones.
Moreover, it can promote proper bowel movements, which in turn reduces the risk of the gallbladder system becoming congested. It can also prevent constipation which is closely related to increased gallstones formation.
To a glass of water, add 1 tablespoon of psyllium powder. Mix well and drink this 2 times a day. Repeat this procedure until the gallstones are eliminated.
Note: When using psyllium, you should drink plenty of water as it absorbs water.
6. DandelionDandelion is another herb that can treat gallstones. It contains taraxacin, a compound that can help in bile excretion from the liver. It can detoxify and metabolize fat accumulated in the liver.
With proper liver function, the gallbladder will function properly as well.
In a cup, add 1 teaspoon of dried dandelion. Pour hot water over it, cover it and let it steep for 5 minutes. Strain and add honey. Consume this tea 2-3 times a day, for 1-2 weeks.
You can also add 2 teaspoons of marshmallow root and 1 teaspoon of Oregon grape to 4 cups of water. Let it simmer for 15 minutes then remove from heat.
Add 2 teaspoons of dried dandelion leaves and 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves and let it steep for 15 minutes. Strain and drink this tea.
Note: People suffering from diabetes should avoid dandelion.
7. Milk ThistleMilk thistle is another remedy for gallstones. It contains silymarin, a bitter compound that can stimulate bile production. This can reduce its concentration and help flush out gallstones.
You should grind 1 tablespoon of milk thistle seeds in a coffee grinder. Put the seeds in 3 cups of water and boil. Remove from heat and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and add honey. Drink this 2-3 times a day, for 1 week.
You can take this herb in supplement form as well. Before using it, make sure to consult your doctor for proper dosage.
8. Castor OilDue to its potent medicinal and healing properties, castor oil can reduce the number of gallstones. It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties that can neutralize inflammation and reduce pain. Moreover, it is very beneficial for the immune and lymphatic system.
In a pan, warm 1 cup of pure castor oil. You should soak a piece of cheesecloth in it then squeeze out the excess oil.
Put the cheesecloth over the right side of your stomach. Use a plastic sheet to cover the cheesecloth. Put a hot water bag on it and let it stand for 30-60 minutes. Repeat this 3 times a week.
9. PearsPears can help you get relief from gallstone pain and other symptoms. Pears contain pectin which can soften the gallstones that are filled with cholesterol, thus eliminating them from the body.
You should mix half a glass of pear juice with half a glass of hot water. Add 2 tablespoons of honey. Drink this 3 times a day for 2 weeks.
You can also peel some pears and discard their seeds. Cut them in small pieces and cook them in water for 20 minutes. Eat one bowl of cooked pears two times a day, for 2 weeks.
This blog provides general information and discussions about health and related subjects. The information and other content provided in this blog, or in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice, nor is the information a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment.
If you or any other person has a medical concern, you should consult with your health care provider or seek other professional medical treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something that have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.
The opinions and views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, health practice or other institution.