Gum swelling can be due to a number of issues, such as gingivitis, infection, nutritional deficiencies or pregnancy. Other common causes include poorly fitting dentures or other dental appliances, excessive smoking or use of other tobacco products, sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash, an injury or incorrect brushing or flossing techniques. You can soothe the pain and swelling of gums with proper oral hygiene and home remedies. However, if you have swollen gums and symptoms persist for more than two weeks, see your dentist.
Here are the best home remedies for swollen gums
Salt water Mouth Rinse for Swollen GumsSalt water mouth rinse is one of the oldest and still one of the most effective remedies for swollen gums. Salt water is a natural disinfectant and thus helps you get rid of all the microbes in your mouth that might be causing the inflammation of your gums. When you rinse your mouth with warm salt water, you can expect to get rid of swollen gums too.
● Table salt- 1/2-1 tsp
● Warm water- 1/2 – 1 glass
● Place the salt into a glass
● Pour the warm water over it.
● Mix it well, if needed with the help of a spoon
● Now take some of this warm salt water into your mouth and swish it all around there.
● Spit is out after few seconds.
● Repeat the process with the remaining salt water in the glass.
● You my rinse your mouth 2-3 times a day or as and when you require in order to get rid of swollen gums.
Aloe Vera for Swollen GumsAnother effective remedy to treat swollen and bleeding gums is aloe vera. This herb has anti-inflammatory as well as antibacterial properties that can prevent the growth of plaque-causing bacteria in the mouth and soothe inflamed gums.
1. Cut open an aloe vera leaf to get the gel.
2. With your clean finger, rub the gel on the gums.3. Gently massage for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Rinse with warm water.
5. Repeat a few times daily until there is improvement in your condition.
Baking Soda for Swollen GumsBaking soda is alkaline in nature and thus makes the environment inside your mouth hostile for the survival of bacteria and other microbes. It neutralizes the acidic wastes produced by the bacteria. Not only this, you also get whiter teeth when you brush them with baking soda paste.
● Baking soda
● Add some water to the baking soda to get a paste.
● Now rub this paste all along your gumline and give it a gentle massage.
● For whiter polished teeth, brush your teeth with this paste.
This blog provides general information and discussions about health and related subjects. The information and other content provided in this blog, or in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice, nor is the information a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment.
If you or any other person has a medical concern, you should consult with your health care provider or seek other professional medical treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something that have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.
The opinions and views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, health practice or other institution.